Christmas Safety Tips for Pets

Christmas Safety Tips for Pets

Usually people don’t associate Christmas with being a dangerous time of year, and honestly, why would we?  For us humans Christmas is not exactly hazardous.  Our pets, on the other hand, can get into a few sticky situations with all the extra food, festivities and decorations around.  Be sure to check out these Christmas safety tips to guarantee your pet’s well-being this year.



Food related incidents around Christmas are extremely frequent and totally avoidable.  First off, check all sugar-free treats for the ingredient Xylitol.  If you have treats that contain this artificial sweetner then make sure it is kept far away from your pets.  This is EXTREMELY TOXIC and will likely kill them if ingested.  If you think your dog may still get to them, play it safe and throw it out.  Also, even though your dog may want all the leftovers, they may not be able to digest them well and the change in diet can cause gastrointestinal issues.  Lean cuts of meat are a great treat; just make sure there are no bones.   And of course, keep chocolate out of reach as well as raw dough and alcoholic beverages.  Any of these could land you in the vet’s office before the New Year.


If you are giving for have received a gift containing food then make sure to keep it out from under the tree and locked away in the cupboard.  A basket of holiday goodies can easily attract your pet’s nose, even if it’s wrapped.  Tearing open the packages could lead your pet to not only ingest plastic and wrappers, they could choke on some of the containers or strings that may be in the present.


I saw a story the other day that broke my heart.  A dog ingested a homemade salt dough ornament and ended up having to be put down.  The family was devastated as you could imagine.  If you have salt dough ornaments make sure they are high and very secure on the tree.  Also, avoid stringing the tree with any other edible decorations such as popcorn and cranberry strands.  While the food themselves aren’t that harmful, the string could get tied up in their intestines causing major damage.


During the holidays vets get more calls about pets eating batteries than any other time of year.  Be sure to keep batteries on top shelves away from curious pets that may think they are just another Christmas treat.  Also, throughout the year make sure to keep remotes or any other battery operated devices out of your pet’s reach.  Chewing on something with batteries could easily mean accidently ingesting one which could be potentially fatal.


We all want to have a Merry Christmas, that’s why keeping these Christmas safety tips in mind is so important.  Our fur family deserves the best and no one wants to be at the vet or caring for a sick pet over the holidays when it is so easy to prevent.






Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Animal Admiration Pet Care Services

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Animal Admiration.

You have Successfully Subscribed!